Saturday, July 5, 2008

Teaching nestlings how to fly....

I swept my feet across the tarmac of the carpark. From the distance, could be heard the voice of Friday prayer sermon, coming from the campus masjid, full of spirits.

“So many things yet to settle!” I said, then reminded myself wholeheartedly, “remember the hadith – take advantage of 5 things before 5 other matters….one of which is, your free time before you are busy…”

The past few weeks had made my hands full. To name a few, Outcome Based Evaluation (OBE) to be documented, new students intake, list of final year students’ project titles to be handed in, make my head spin…. Continuing Profesional Development (CPD) courses to attend, days in a row…

Even though one has attended an ‘Evaluation on Levels of Skills’ or better known amongst government servants as PTK (attended the TK6 – the highest level, sometime in 2004) , academics at my level need to gather a least 10 points on a yearly basis. No CPD, no pay rise. Attendance is compulsory for all the days in a stretch, failing which, no points would be awarded. In a way, I agree with this CPD thing because, apart from knowledge enrichment, we get to meet new friends from across campuses, and rekindling friendship with old ones...(met my senior during our school days when at TKC, Seremban in the recent CPD. Back then, I was in form four while she was in upper six…happiness!).

There was still an assignment which I was supposed to come up with for the department before the school board meeting next week (will have to delegate the presentation to a colleague as I will be away…Where? Will explain later).


My head was full of these ‘things to do’ when suddenly my eyes chanced upon a group of adolescents. Two of them, lying down on the gazebo top which was right at the centre of the courtyard of the department block, surrounded by greenery. The others were in a playful mood, jostling each other, pulling their smart prayer attire and the white caps on their heads.

I decided to just throw some words amid their laughter and giggles.

“Why! You are all dressed up fine and handsome. Must be ready for your Friday prayers?”

“Yes!” said one of the boys, who was lying comfortably on the gleaming tiled floor, enjoying its coolness.

“But since the sermon has not finished and no call for start of prayers yet, we want to wait here!” said another.

“Hmm…Why dont you just sit in the masjid and listen to the words of the sermon properly?” said I.

There was stillness in the air.

“All right! If you want to be good Muslims and give your prayer some values, listen to what I am going to say. Go to the masjid right now, okay?” I continued.

The bright young faces then traced their steps among the corridor in the department leading to the masjid.

This is not the first time I did such a thing. Numerous times before, I have said exactly the same thing to a different set of young faces.

“How my heart reach out to their parents! Thinking their children were already at the masjid. Instead, their youngsters are frolicking away!”

I have seen worse scenarios than this in other masjids. Young people loitering, and talking away, at the wired fences surrounding the masjid. At a very famous masjid near KLCC, I have seen young men unfolding their prayer mats under trees, quite a distance from the prayer area, preferring to do their prayers there. Haven’t it crossed their minds that they stand to gain nothing because the saf is discontinued?

I can only sigh……

PS. My family and I (including little Insyirah) will be away these two weeks, beginning the 9th. of July, for we will be joining our youngest son for his convocation (graduating on the 11th. of July with an M.Eng. degree in Mechanical Engineering, University of Manchester). Alhamdulillah, I am ever so grateful to Allah for fulfilling my doa that my son achieve his goal with flying colours. I pray that Allah confer the same upon all your children….Amin Ya Rabbul Alamin..

2 comments:

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Received this message from one reader (presumably from UK):

"I found solace in reading your entries. Somehow, they managed to calm my troubled soul. I always fail to understand and recognise the blessings given to me, instead I crave for more.

Keep up the good work. Keep writing. You might not know it but your entries prompted a reflection on my life, things accomplished and deeds left undone. Jazakallah khair"

~Wan~

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah..

Wan,

I feel good that you feel good after reading my entries...

Alhamdulillah...

This is one of the reasons why I started this blog...

To touch other people's lives (as Muslims - we must try to touch other people's lives to do good...words that I remembered after listening to a talk by Brother Idris Tawfiq, in one of my earlier entries)...

I would like very much to continue to do so for the rest of my life...Insya Alllah...

May Allah bless you, Wan and your entire family...Amin