Sunday, April 19, 2009

My newest book....

Snippets from the book...

What Inspired This Book to be Written?

In February 2009, I attended a workshop – "Effective Writing for Mass Media", organized by the Media Committee, JIM HQ in Kuala Lumpur. While we were there, a group of trainers, including myself, sat and discussed about the possibility of having the materials in our workshops to be made into modules.

On my way back home up north, my mind was stirred up by one fact which surfaced during one of the workshops which I conducted at Kota Bharu, Kelantan. The chairperson, Madam Alawiyah Abdullah who headed the organizing committee of the workshop on behalf of JIM (Women’s Section) Kelantan put forward a question to all of us.

“Are we aware that the second Surah (after the first Surah Iqra’ – meaning ‘Read’) that was sent down by God was entitled The Pen (Al Qalam)?” and then she began reciting the verse:

NuN*, the pen, and what they (the people) write, you have attained a great blessing from your Lord; you are not crazy.” (Al Qalam: Verse 1)

Madam Alawiyah then went on to say, “This verse is the 68th surah in the al Quran and has 52 verses altogether. Look at how great the emphasis is on writing, in the life of a Muslim,” said she, reminding us all who were present during the workshop.

I was jolted too! I suddenly remembered that I had come across this fact years ago but I had forgotten about it entirely.

And so, I was very motivated and keen to start on this book project. I began compiling the materials which I had emphasized again and again to participants of my writing workshops. And all the little but valuable experiences which I had jotted down throughout the course of my own journey as a writer….

.............................................................


The initial intention in writing this book was that I wanted it to be of everyday use, to be always referred to, as a fountain of ideas for those who aspire to be writers and wish to live as one.

This book is about writing. Therefore, as a reader and an aspiring writer, do not confine yourself to just reading the pages. Instead, use it often. Flick through it, roll your eyes over the words, move your fingers across the pages, fold over its edges so you may remember where you suddenly pick up some important points. Make full use of the book. Let the pages be limp with use. Then, don’t forget to write!
Dr. Umi Kalthum Ngah


PS. This book is a 90 page book, written in Bahasa Melayu, the Malay Language. Price is RM 10.00. Published in conjunction with the Kuala Lumpur International Book Fair 2009. Will be available from Wednesday 22nd. April 2009 onwards, at the JIMedia Booth KLIBF'09, L2 & L3 (booth beside ReadNetwork Booth) directly in front of the main entrance KLIBF'09 (http://klbookfair.com/index.php/)

No comments: