Monday, March 23, 2009

Bahulu, anyone?









The presentation was about to begin. Displayed onto the white screen, from the LCD projector.

“Bahulu? What has this got to do with engineering?” hissed a male student, who walked past from behind me.

I turned my head and gave him an icy stare. He shot his way and disappeared through the door of the prresentation lab.

“Right! Let us get started,” I said.

My two students i.e. one named Ng was fumbling with the keyboard of the PC while the other by the name of Nor, was straightening her clothes. Both were were standing a few feet from the wall.

And the presentation began with Nor saying:

“Bahulu is a traditional delicacy amongst the Malays in Malaysia. It has now been a favourite amongst the other races too i.e. the Chinese and the Indians. Especially during festivities. Apparently, the sweet cake originated from a place called Bangkahulu, Southern Sumatera, Indonesia and was brought into Malaya by the Javanese. Originally, it was pan-shaped, just like the pizza because the dough was baked using the pan-cover. Another version as to why the dish got its name was, it created by the people who stayed high up where the rivers began (‘hulu sungai’). The delicacy was often brought by them whenever they came visiting their kins at the various other places. The people then would often say, gifts from up the river (‘buah tangan dari hulu’). Hence, its name.”

Ng elaborated further saying that although the sweet cakes used to be prepared the traditional way, it is now much more convenient using the modern methods. Using machines and ovens. And there are much more flavours available. Even strawberries and cappuccinos!

“We could not find any resources where the bahulu was prepared traditionally. So we had to settle with a small scale industry in a remote kampung up north. We have videos of how the bahulu is prepared the modern way. Here it is!” said Nor.

Our eyes were transfixed on the wall, enjoying the video.

I asked, “You want to know how it was prepared the traditional way? My late mum used to sell this bahulu and also other traditional kuih nearly every day, to earn some extra income.”

Ng and Nor nodded their heads.

So I began, “I used to help my mum prepare bahulu when we were little. We took turns beating the eggs and sugar in a huge ceramic jar using a big egg beater until our hands were sore. Because, as time passed, the dough became heavier and heavier. But when she started baking, all the sores were gone. That was when the real fun began. Her oven was special. She used a clay pail with fire from charcoal and husks at the bottom. Then an uncovered pot with sand underneath it was put in the pail. Meanwhile, iron casts with different shapes were oiled and the mixture of dough was mixed with fried flour. Yes! Fried beforehand on a big wok for a few hours a few days earlier. That was why mum’s bahulu was so mouth watering, fragrant and long lasting! The dough was then dropped onto the holes. Then in it goes into the pot. The whole thing was then covered using a cut-out side portion of a large, clean biscuit tin. More burning coal and husks were put on top. The fragrance which emanates indicates that the bahulu is cooked. The first few rounds of bahulu would disappear into our tummies i.e. the ‘workers’!”

Nor’s brows were raised. Ng was mesmerized too.

“Well then! What have you learnt while you were doing this project?” I asked.

“A lot!” said Ng.

“Tell me! I want to know” said I.

“First of all, how to get into the kampung to talk to people while trying to find information,” said Nor.

“I learnt the name of the kuih. Before, I only knew how to eat them, without even knowing its name and its origins,” said Ng.

“Good! You two speak from your hearts!”

Ng said, “We made a survey. Most of the participants prefer the modern bahulu. Because of the variety of flavours available.”

“Whom did you ask?” I said, frowing.

“Just us, amongst students from first years to final years,” said Nor.

“You should have included the staff. Like me for example, in the survey. Then you would have came up with a different conclusion. Nothing beats bahulu prepared the traditional way. If only you had the chance to taste them!”

They grinned and then they delivered a surprise! A box of bahulu from them as a gesture of thanks to me as their supervisor for the subject SHE 101.

Last night, after dinner, I brought out the box of bahulu. My other half seemed to enjoy them very much because this morning, when I peeked through at the container, there were only six left!

PS. SHE 101 is a 2 unit course entitled Ethnic Relations. Students would have to complete their projects within 3 weeks.







4 comments:

D said...

yummy!!! my BIL & SIL came over last weekend from Malaysia and brought us a big tub of bahulus. I'd never have asked anyone to bring them but now that we all tasted them, it was definitely appreciated! Anyhow, I can make them here using modern techniques any time - if I had the time!!

:) thanks for sharing...

Fadhil said...

Salam Umi Kalthum,

Reached here by way of Pause To Reflect.

This post brings back memories. How can I forget the beating of the eggs in a large ceramic jar!

It was probably the toughest task in the whole bahulu-making process. When my right hand gets tired, I switch to my left. When both gets tired I wail to my mom, `Dah ke mak?'

And mom would say, `Belum... kena pukul sampai naik.' And I would wail again,`Alaa....'

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear D,

Great eh! Having someone or people you love coming from home. And supply of a big tub of bahulus! Happiness!

Hope everything goes well with your studies...

Thank you for dropping your lines

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear Oldstock,

Yes! Very sweet! Those moments...

Though it wasn't sweet at that time..like being tortured, right?

How I miss those good ole days...

Thank you for your comments! Please come by again...