Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Sustaining the environment’s natural beauty (2)…






“Have you heard of Beatrix Potter, the author?” said the English lady, full of enthusiasm.

“Yes! I love her books! Books written for children. And her drawings! Simply enchanting!” I said.

“Indeed! She is the lady I am telling you about! Imagine the path that led her to eventually make a turning point in her life. It took on a new beginning and a new meaning from then on.”

“A new beginning?” said I, a bit puzzled.

“Yes! Something happened which made her decide to start a new life at the Lake District. The beautiful place preserved as it is, till now!”

“What did she do?” I said, turning in my seat, so I could look straight at the english lady’s face.


“She followed her heart and moved to the Lake District. Settled down at a quiet place called Hill Top Farm. Then, because the region was threatened to be taken over by industrialists keen to develop the surroundings, she involved herself actively in the meetings held in the midst of the community. When she realized that the farmers were in grave danger of being wiped out of their livelihood, because of their poverty, she began purchasing the plots of land. She even paid the farmers to work on the pieces of land she acquired so they may continue with their farming.”

“She has a good heart,” I said.

“Indeed! She bought more than 4,000 acres of land through the royalty which she received from her published books. When she died, she bequeathed all her takings to the National Trust, an indepedent body entrusted to preserve the beauty of the area. Up to this present moment in time,” said the english lady sitting beside me in the coach.

“No wonder, the Lake District is as beautiful as it was in her times and remains a popular tourist spot to this day.”

“Exactly! Why don’t you watch the movie Miss Potter. A film based upon her life!”


I was quiet for a while. It has never crossed my mind that through writing, a woman can single handedly sustain a portion of our beautiful earth. Beatrix Potter has left a legacy. To be enjoyed by future generations, for years to come.

I got hold of the DVD during my sabbatical leave that year. These words by Miss Potter continue to haunt me. I would like to share them with you here:

There's something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You can never quite tell where they'll take you. Mine took me here, where I belong.

~Beatrix Potter~ (1866-1943)
(quote from the film ‘Miss Potter‘)

(PS. The first image was taken from here.)

No comments: