Monday, June 15, 2009

A shining gem is gone forever...

“Mum, Shaykh Fathi Yakan has passed away,” said my son as I was busy jotting in the details of my visit to the industries where my students were attached for the past two weeks.

For a while, my fingers were numb and I put aside my pen, uttering a prayer for his soul.

Dr. Fathi Yakan, an electrical & electronic engineer by profession and holder of degrees in Arab and Islamic studies cum politician, writer, has passed away on Sunday the 14th of June, 2009.
He, whose books changed my perception and perspective of the Islamic faith – To Be A Muslim, amongst more than 35 other titles. A book which unveiled the obligatory duties of being a Muslim, responsibility towards oneself and towards others, which also continuously became my reference during my student days, and an everyday guide while being actively involved in the society through an NGO (JIM), even until now.

Fathi Yakan was born in the northern port city of Tripoli in 1933. He became involved in Islamic work in Lebanon in the mid 1950's and was a pioneer in the establishment of the Islamic Movement there. Yakan was elected a member of parliament in 1992.

His passing casts deep sorrow…A jewel may have just diminished..but for sure, its lustre and sparkle is still freshly ingrained in our minds…

May his soul be blessed, his good deeds, steadfastness and dedication for Islam be abundantly rewarded with jannah and rahmah by Allah…Amin.

May there be more ‘Fathi Yakans’ amongst us and in forthcoming generations…Amin.

PS. His time was due…how about us? The dewdrops in us…the seconds before we ‘dry out’ are ticking away…Are we ready for that moment?

No comments: