Thursday, February 4, 2010

KPI...


It has been raining KPI’s for the past few months. Seems like the three letter item has become the buzz word. On the TV, in the papers, from our country’s VIP lips. At my department…

Ever since last year and being called in to be one of the the department’s KPI committee, I have been running around, bogged down with paper work (which explains why this space of mine has not been updated). Plus the fact that I have to put up with some members of staff who are lackadaisical in their attitudes and worst still – those who spit out unbecoming words, not befitting the academic titles that they have in front of their names. Am already up to my nose…the mere mention of the three letter word, gave me the jitters...

Last weekend, while attending a get together with other writers of a publishing company, the editors explained their new and upcoming projects. Then, it came…”Each of us as an editor, we need to fulfill our KPIs..” I felt like throwing up…

Too much emphasis, too much paper work, efforts. So much time and energy…

This weekend (Yes! On Sunday, while others are happily relaxing with their families) all the four of us will have to brace ourselves in preparation to face the highest authority of the university. For, the task of defending our school KPI lies upon the shoulders of the four of us (Prof. L, Dr. W, Mr. M and I). I do hope some of my dear colleagues will help too in offering some doas…

These set me thinking..how about the other KPI? The one we need to look seriously into? Our KPI with our own Creator? I shudder…

How about you?

2 comments:

Al-Manar said...

umi
KPI,KPI everywhere. When I was young it was not there.
I was taught to evaluate myself, the right and wrong of my deeds, before I am being evaluated. Kita Perlu Ingat. Now it is a science, and I wonder if a B Sc degree course in this will be offered.

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear Pakcik Hassan,

Yes - I always agree that us of yesteryears don't really need all these terms and whatnots.Is it because of our present system of education? Everything need to be laid down? Can't even think for oneself?

KPI - Kita Perlu Ingat..(~ am chuckling~)

Now, that is a good one!

Spot on too!

Salams to Makcik