Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup, Then and Now….




It was the summer of 1978. I was so up to my nose with the preparations for my A-Levels that was in a few days time then. I was sent to study at the Chesterfield College of Technology (now known as Chesterfield College), Chesterfield - a tiny market town in the county of Derbyshire. If one happens to travel by rail to Sheffield from down south, one might be able to catch a glimpse of the signature landmark of the place – the crooked spire of the town’s church, if one looks out of the left window of the carriage.

My other two housemates were cooped up in their respective rooms upstairs at the topmost floor, in the three floored semi detached house, silent and subdued. I had actually done most of the preparations. It was just a matter of going through the notes again and again as revisions. However, seeing others studying so hard sometimes make you ask yourself, “Why aren’t you studying too?” – if you understand what I mean…

After a time, I could not contain myself any longer. So, there I was, at the lounge area of the house (No. 10, Queen Street) rooted at the sofa, right in front of the TV, watching the games of the World Cup. The few hours in a day of occasional screamings and whatnots were actually food for my soul. The tension in me quickly ebbed away. My mind would be refreshed to take in the formulae, equations and theoretical facts to face the exams that was right around the corner. Argentina won 3-1 over Netherlands (2 goals made by Mario Kempes. A remarkable game it was indeed! And I had a great time, watching it all alone interspersed with intermittent activities - nail bitings, hair pullings, wrist wringing, hands in the air, at times punching the cushions or anything that I could lay my hands onto….it was a good thing that my housemates were so high up in the house…what with all the ruckus that I made…

And so, it is that time again this year. The place - South Africa. Today’s game was marred by a freak mistake made by the goalkeeper of England during the game facing USA. I am sure that he would not have wanted the incident to happen.

A quick reading of my one of my favourite websites Idris Tawfiq (an earlier entry about him on this blog can be found here – updates of which I obtained from time to time through email after registering at his website) made me ponder (read here)…

Idris Tafiq has said it well… Everything that happens is with His will.

However, my heart is constantly nagging - the biggest question still remains….the issue of Palestine and the fate of its people…would their cries of sufferings be drowned by the squeals and howls of spectators amid the goals scored during the World Cup?

4 comments:

Fadhil said...

Wow... Puan Umi a World Cup fan too?

In 1978, I was still in secondadry school but I remember that final game very well. Mario Kempes scoring those goals. Later on Puma produced soccer boots named after Kempes and I immediately got myself a pair.

The next world cup in 1982 was in Spain. I was in Sheffield at the time. Although it was already summer and school was closed, I would still go to the student's union to watch the matches there because it was fun to be around other students.

Al-Manar said...

Umi,

I don't watch football and neither do I go golfing any more. One kicks and runs and kicks and run , just to get a ball into the goal. The other is simply hitting and walking, hitting and walking, getting into the bushes and swearing looking for a tiny ball, just to see it finally rolling into a hole.
Salaam to you and Sofian

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear Oldstock,

'When you can't beat them, join them' - that is an old saying...I used to love to watch football...then it died - because so busy with raising the children and all.

Now - I have 3 men in the house (on weekends when I am in KL - my hubby, my son and my son-in-law) who were soccer players during their school days.

Whenever I am back at my working home - my hubby has the priviledge of the World Cup all to himself...so, I watch and do my work (write or other work) just to keep him company...

You in Sheffield? Students' Union - the Oval? Good for you! I used to stay at 15 Filey Street- the first Malays couple to stay there (1979-1981). In 1982 - I was back in Malaysia then - came back a year earlier...

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear Pakcik,

My husband plays soccer - but he does not believe in golf. When I asked him why - he replied G.O.L.F means "Golongan Orang Lupa Family" in malay. Meaning - a class of people who tend to forget they have a family...I would sigh...

Pakcik - for a person of your age - you are still going strong...

Salams to Makcik as well...