Monday, March 3, 2008

The power of doing good and kind words...
















“Good morning! You’re early!” F greeted me from the reception desk.

“Good morning to you too!” I said, rubbing the soles of my shoes on the doormat of the main lobby while my eyes caught a glimpse of the entrance leading into the building from the glass door.

“Freezin’ out there, ain’t it?” said F again, looking up from her scribbling.

“As usual but I’ve got these!” said I, smiling and nodding my head, waving the pair of gloves which I had just removed from the tips of my fingers.

Across the entrance hung something which caught my attention. And so gingerly, I paced my steps across the shiny floor.

“Princess Diana?” I said, reading the picture on the wall.

“She was a good soul, wasn’t she?” F’s voice came from across the hall.

I turned my head and nodded towards her smiling face. Then, I picked up my heels and headed for the stairs. At the top landing, my fingers punched the security codes at the door and then entered my work place.

I had wanted to see the new place where the Nightingale Centre would be. And so, right after work at midday, I walked further down the road to catch the bus to Wythenshawe, resting at a bench, cosy with greenery lined with lavenders bushes at the centre court. My eyes gazed at huge billboards across the road, announcing the arrival of luxury apartments and buildings soon to replace the old premises (i.e. the Nightingale Centre and its grounds). My heart drooped a bit and I was feeling a little melancholic…

Why was it that Lady Diana was so revered by so many people. Even when she is no longer here with us?

These were my questions which were only answered after attending a talk by Brother Idris Tawfiq who came all the way from Eqypt (where he resides now even though England used to be his home) to share his experience after reverting to Islam. He came to render his talk during 'Understanding Islam', a week long programme organized by students of the Islamic Society of the University of Manchester.

Brother Idris was a specially trained Catholic priest with the Vatican. He was one of the priests (at that time, he had no idea what Islam was) who recited the last rites during the princess's funeral. From his delivery, I could now appreciate the fact that Diana symbolized goodness, sincerity as her hands were always reaching out touching other peoples’ souls. No wonder, the mountains of fragrant wreaths laid at her Kensington grounds and the Buckingham Palace. Not forgetting the bucketful of tears shed and the sea of people during her burial ceremony, who braved the streets of London as her casket passed by.

In this world right now that is ever full of malice, treachery and selfishness, people still want to be associated with purity and goodwill. And so the princess became the symbol that the people of Britain had been looking for. And so, the people connected…they still do..even now, when she’s gone forever...

So! The lesson here is…people appreciate goodness, caring words and soft gentle touch. To touch other people’s hearts and make them change for the better, we need to do just that…to do goodness..

4 comments:

D said...

I can't agree with you more: "To touch other people’s hearts and make them change for the better, we need to do just that…to do goodness.."

Action speaks louder than words. Only that can pass on a message so valuable. Good piece here!

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dearest D,

Assalamualaikum warahmatullah,

Thank you for leaving your words here..

Let us make doa so that Allah will always give us the opportunity to do goodness everywhere we are and no matter how busy we may be, Insya Allah...Amin.

dontbesadblog said...

Peace be upon you Umi Kalthum,

An interesting reflection-- surely, these are universal human values which we have lost today, but are encouraged in our religion and are the example of the Last Prophet-- especially gentleness.

Kind regards,


Dont be sad

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dear dontbesadblog,

Peace be upon you too!

Thank you dropping your lines here..

Yes! Gentleness does have the capability to break a heart of stone...