Saturday, March 29, 2008

That forlorn face....continue to haunt...

I pulled my fingers that were wrapped on the steering, careening the car to a halt at a petrol station off the main road from Taiping to Parit Buntar. An innocently sweet face greeted me at the first booth just as I drove past it.

The innocently-faced young man came running to assist me.

“Are you a teacher, ma’am?” smilingly, he asked. His hands holding the petrol pump which he gingerly inserted into the car beside me.

“Yes! Indeed I am!” said I, smiling back at him.

“Which school, may I know?”

“Actually I lecture at Nibong Tebal, the engineering campus, just across the border!”

“The university?” his face suddenly lit up as he said the words.

“Yes! How long have you worked here?” I asked, the curiosity in me was aroused as I studied his physique. He looked like someone fresh out of school.

“Just a few months ago. Actually, I was asked by my father to come back here to take care of my ailing grandmother. I also have my younger brothers’ and sisters’ mouths to feed. So I had to get a job.”

“Why aren’t you furthering your studies?” My heart cried out to know more.

“I had an offer from a university further down south, a few months after the SPM results were released.”

“Then? Didn’t you register?”

“As I said, my father has asked me to take care of granny and to find a job.”

“Where are you parents? Your mum? You dad?” I could not help frowning.

“My mum has passed away. My dad just married another.”

My heart sank. The young face was downcast on the floor by now, trying to hide away the cloud of sadness that might have appeared.

A loud thud! Full! And I was jolted back.

Instantaneously, I said, “Listen here, okay? Take good care of your granny. And your siblings too! God will reward you, Insha Allah. And bestow upon you bounties from paths you least expect. Believe me! I will make doa for you, Insha Allah!”

“Thank you, Aunt!” the shine of innocence lit up again on his face.

Payments to be made. As soon as I stepped out of the glass door of the service station office, I held up my hand. In the direction of the young man right across the other side of the premise, signaling my departure.

Hands waved eagerly back to me. Hands belonging to the sweet, innocently faced young boy.

My thoughts were constantly stirred by those frantic hands. All the way back to the campus, my heart reached out to that face. The intelligent face..looking forlornly on the floor…

Will there be light at the end of the tunnel for him? Oh Allah! Please….help him….Amin.

3 comments:

D said...

Unfortunately, there are still so many 'unfortunate' ones like this young man you encountered in our country. Funny, eh - most people take things for granted, while others suffer through life. My du'as for the young man. InsyaAllah, good things come to those who deserve them...

ps: got a lot to catch up here after disappearing for so long! LOL

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Assalamualaikum D,

Was wondering where you went!

Good to hear you are back...

Yes! This sstory is just the tip of the iceberg..many more if we are to unfold..

Wasalam..

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Assalamualaikum D,

Was wondering where you went!

Good to hear you are back...

Yes! This sstory is just the tip of the iceberg..many more if we are to unfold..

Wasalam..