Monday, May 12, 2008

A tale from the taxi driver…

“Been in this business for very long?” said my other half to the sunglass clad taxi driver as soon as he pulled the car to a stop at the lobby.

“Yes! Quite a while!” said he, putting our luggage at the opened boot.

“No wonder! I remembered making the phone call to request for taxi just a few moments ago, “ said my husband, half smilingly as he snuggled onto the seat beside the driver while I sat waiting at the rear seat.

“Dont you worry! I know every nook and corner around his island!” the taxi driver said assuringly as he pulled shut the door on his right and stepped his feet on the paddle.

“Other than this, what else do you do?” asked my other half, attempting to further the conversation.

“Watching films. Not Malay ones, English nor Hindustani. Just Tamil films!” said he.

His statement made me turn my head up front from gazing at the outside scenery while my husband was dumbfounded for a while.

“I quite expected that! Your reaction! Am used to it. You see, Tamil films touch a lot on values. I mean real life values and very down to earth too! We can relate to what is happening around us right now in our society. Very realistic!” his voice broke into a laugh from behind the dark glasses.

“How is that?” asked my other half, lines on his forehead.

Suddenly, I too was interested to know!

“The storyline usually evolve around the struggles of ordinary citizens trying hard to make a decent living. The hero who fights for the basic rights and the truth confronts with a lot of obstacles, becomes a victim of tyranny, misdeeds and treachery. A lot of twists and conspiracies by certain quarters who want to safeguard their own interests. If there ever are politicians then usually these are usually the horrible ones who love to misuse their power and condone bribery. In fact, some do not hesitate to commit murder or to hire professional exterminators just to get their way around, to win or to maintain their power!”

“Is that so?” said my husband, nodding his head slowly.

“Yes! Tamil films have such a lot to offer. They instill the spirit to fight for justice and to oppose tyranny!” said the taxi driver, his lips curved into a smile as he unloaded the few bags we had from the boot of the car as soon as we arrived at the jetty at Kuah, Langkawi.

I learnt something that day. From the short conversations. Something new…maybe I should allow myself to watch Tamil films, one or two!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting!

I thought Hindustani's movies also have the same kind of plot. No??

err this is based on my hindustan movie watching masa kecik2 la.. heheh not anymore these days..

D said...

yes,u go and watch them n report it over to us. I dont even watch hindustani movies!

D said...

oh, i tagged u!