Monday, August 4, 2008

Special writing workshop for Raudhatus Sakinah...





















My head was still swimming…trying to make sense of day and night…the time loss or gain, travelling from west to east. But then again…a promise is still a promise.

Saturday, the 26th. of July, I got myself ready to conduct a special writing session for occupants of Raudhatus Sakinah (Penang Branch).

Eager faces awaited me, greeting me with salams and anticipating an enjoyable session as I promised them in one of my prior visits at their abode. They were all seated cosily in a seminar room at one of the schools of the Engineering Campus, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Nibong Tebal.

As the day commenced, pen encircled on fingers quivered, white sheets whined and writhed under nibs, full of scribbles…Then as minds start to thaw, tears welled up in those faces as one by one, each read their respective creative pieces. As much as I tried to control my tears, some still managed to hang on to my lashes. Right after reading each one of their writings, some of the participants just dropped back onto their chairs, in between sobs and cowered their faces on their desks, drenching the surfaces with their tears…

Writing is a form of therapy, an avenue to vent out ones’s anger, frustration or regrets over past misdeeds…expressing repentance to God and especially so to their parents who must have gone through such tremendous emotional upheaval in this tribulation. Also to carve into their hearts, the expectations and hope for their future, to strive and overcome whatever obstacles that may lie ahead…

I once came across an article – children who were victims of the Tsunami years ago, were encouraged to overcome their grief and post Tsunami trauma through drawings and paintings…likewise, I had hoped that this writing workshop would function as the same, to these young hearts..

At the end, I had expressed my aspiration to have a book published, a collection of writings from the occupants as well as the wardens and manager of RS…God willing. This collection would hopefully serve as a reminder to all the other young people out there...who are still unaware of the pitfalls, nooks and corners in treading life in this world. Life is not a straight line…may this book be a guidance and a beacon of light for others…

May Allah accept this little effort...Amin.

PS. A word of thanks to the manager of Raudhatus Sakinah (Penang Branch), Mrs. Inayah Isa for the collection of images...

No comments: