Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The turning point…



























More than a year passed. The stark campus has grown into a beautiful one, full of greenery, some plots of the original oil palm estate, left intact for aesthetic purposes. That was when he came to see me again.

“Whatever happened to your plans? Furthering your studies and everything? I remembered you came here, asking me to be your referee some time ago!” I said, offering the seat in front of me.

“Yes! But, there has been a change of plans!”

His face drooped for a while; silent, while I waited for his answer.

“I want to be a teacher. I love being a teacher. Especially teaching those small innocent boys. And a teacher is what I want to be! That is why I am here now. To ask you to be my referee. Am applying for a Teaching Certificate at a teaching institute. I hope you don’t mind!” at last, he said.

“Of course I don’t mind! Well! Well! It’s been a long journey, hasn’t it?” I said.

“Long journey?” he asked.

“Yes! To suddenly find the thing that you really love doing! And to finally find your true self!” I said half-jokingly.

“It has been a hard one for me!’ he said, lowering his eyes.

“Look here! Listen to me! Wherever you go, remember to do good. And whatever you do, give it your best shot! Remember that!” I said, my eyes fixed on his face.

He nodded and uttered rather quietly, “I will try to remember that.”

Many months passed. I got a call. He said that he wanted to stop by my office.

“Thank you!” he said.

“Whatever for?” I asked puzzled.

“For believing in me and making me believe in myself.”

“You got the credit to yourself! Alhamdulillah! You got the place at the teaching college?” I asked.

“Yes! Thanks to your strong recommendations.”

“I was only doing my job.”

“Wanted to inform you earlier but you were not around."

“I must have been out of Malaysia at a conference somewhere or maybe on holiday. How many more months, then?”

“Only a few more! And I breezed through the interview for placement!” he said excitedly.

“Oh! Is that so?” I said, quite surprised.

“The moment I said I want to teach in primary schools, the panel all laughed and then when one of them said, “You got it!” I was quite puzzled!” he said full heartedly.

“Puzzled? Of course they want man teachers in primary schools! That is why! And that is the whole problem with our education system right now. Small boys need men that they can connect with as examples and to discipline them. You are one lucky specie!” I laughed too.

“Here is something for you. You are the first person I am giving this to, around here,” he said holding out a pale hued envelope.

“Wow! Mabruk! When is the date?” My eyes gleamed as I read the fragrant card from inside the envelope.

“In a few weeks time,” his face was full of happiness.

I marked the date in my diary. Would not want to miss this occasion, not even for a million ringgit…

That was nearly two years ago…(..to be continued..)

No comments: