Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Sense of decency...

There was a certain kind of stillness. The only sound that could be heard was the drumming of the engine. The train ride was smooth, piercing the air, like wings in the wind.

Outside, everything was exquisite. My eyes were roaming across the undulating landscape, just like the folds of the ocean. Only, the colours were shades of green and the waves, static. Fields spread yonder, lined with shrubs fencing the paddocks. On the gentle slopes, small spots of whiteness, meandering here and there, looking soft and cuddly.

“Sheep? How sweet and beautiful! The Peak District. Exactly like it was 30 years ago!” said I, half smilingly.

My viva for Ph.D was just over and I was back on my sabatical leave in the UK. The train was on its way to Manchester and I was in it, after spending some time visiting a colleague of mine Nz, who was still struggling with his Ph.D at Leicester. I reached Leicester station early in the day and he was kind enough to pick me up at the station, accompanied by his eldest son. I was caught by surprise! His hair was nearly white all over! Back to his home, I was treated to a delightful lunch prepared by his beloved wife, Azam who was also my old friend.

After spending a whole day with Nz’s family, I was now back on the train. In the seat right across me, an English woman was engrossed in her book while a man sitting beside her was deep in thought, trying to solve a crossword puzzle in the day’s newspaper..

The train came to a halt after slowing down a little. A signboard written with the words “Sheffield” passed slowly by. And then all was still.

The door connecting the carriage suddenly opened and a stylishly dressed young english lady in a pair of tight white pants made her way towards the empty seat beside me.

“Anybody sitting beside you here? If there’s none, then may I?” she asked.

I quickly smiled and shaking my head, I offered, ”No! Not at all! I mean go ahead. Have that seat! You need some help with the bag?”

“Thank you, but I think I can manage! It is just up here!” said the young lady, pushing her bag to the compartment high up above her seat.

The train has started to move again, gaining momentum in a split second. The young lady rummaged something out of her small sling bag. All of a sudden, there was the smell of something strong, poking my nose and making me hold my breadth.

“Sorry! I couldn’t find the time to do this in the morning! I do hope you people don’t mind!” the lady said. Her fingers were deftly applying softly coloured strokes on to her tilted nails from a small bottle.

“My nails are ever so fragile and they break so easily. That is why I have to do this often!” said she, holding her fingers apart in the air.

“Well! I have no such problems! Tell you what? I suggest you go and have your nails manicured professionally. Look at mine!” said the other lady who was engrossed in her book just now, right across me, putting her hands on the edge of the table in front of her.

“Wow! Cool! They’re nice! Maybe I should do just that!” said the stylish lady beside me, wide-eyed.

The male passenger who was seated diagonally across me suddenly lifted his head from being deeply engaged in his paper, just a few seconds ago. His eyebows slightly raised, he gave me a shot of glance and a slight smile. Then, he dropped his face, once again immersed in the pages of the daily news, his fingers dancing up, down and across the boxes of black and white.

“Wonder why the crooked smile on his face? Uncomfortable, hearing this woman to woman talk? Must be!” I said to myself. A slight smile curved on my lips too!

The carriage door suddenly opened.

“Tickets please!” said a man, smartly dressed in a blue uniform from the carriage beyond. His face was expressionless..
(to be continued....)

No comments: