Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Sense of decency (2)...

(...continued)

My fingers reached out for the ticket from inside my purse and handed it out to the man in blue who stood waiting.

All of a sudden, the sultry woman with the nail polish stood up, her fingers in the air.

She said, “I am sorry! But my ticket is right here! In the pocket behind my back!” and then she stooped, extending her posterior wrapped in the tight pants, right in the direction of the man in blue.

The crossword puzzle man lifted his head, his lips ajar. The woman reading the book beside him, turned up her face, her eyebrows raised with a frown on her forehead.

The man in blue started to laugh, breaking the silence in the carriage.

“Well! This is one of the perks that come with this job, you know! So, I am not complaining!” said he.

There was laughter. From all over the carriage.

I stood up and offered, “Here! Let me take the ticket out for you!” and without waiting for anything else, took the little card, decked out in orange, from the woman’s behind.

“Here you are, love!” said the man in blue again, after punching a hole in the little card.

I quickly took the card from him and slipped it back to its former place. The owner, still had her fingers in the air.

“Thank you!” said she, as though nothing strange had happened. Instead, she started to blow her breath all over the tips of her fingers.

“You’re welcomed!” said I, trying to refrain from shaking my head, then the inside of me was saying, “God! Don’t these people have the slightest sense of decency left in them?”

“Are you a teacher?” said the other woman, who previously was reading her book to the nail polished woman.

My ears were still perked up.

“Oh yes!”

“Whereabouts?”

“Manchester! I have just returned from home at Notts. Going back to work at school. How about you? What do you do?” she said, still blowing her breath profusely away.

“Oh! I am a teacher too! At Greater Manchester!” said the woman, adjusting her bookmark and closing her book.

“Where are you from then?” said the other, scrutinizing her own fingers.

“Oh! I have been around to see my life partner up at Nottingham for the weekend. We have been together for quite a while. Most of the time, she travels up to my place at Manchester. But this time around, I thought I will do the traveling and spend our weekend together at Notts for a change!” she said beaming a wide smile.

Hearing that, my right hand flew to my heart automatically. The crossword puzzle man cleared his throat and shot me a glance, then rolled his eyes in the direction of the ceiling.

Once again, my inner self whispered, “She? May God forgive us!”

“Why does suddenly, this journey seem like forever? I would have to shut my ears from now on!” I told myself, my eyes looking at the square numbered face staring at me around my left wrist.

Suddenly too, I remembered the words from the Hadith (sayings of the Prophet, peace be upon him):

“When you are immodest (unashamed) then do whatever you desire.” ~Al-Bukhari~


No comments: