Monday, December 22, 2008

Amidst the dunes….


















“So! You’ll be doing the sand dune bashing?” said the young man sitting beside the Pakistani driver behind the wheel.

The four wheel drive we were in, was purring momentarily at the campsite, the wheels of which were let loose of the air several kilometers at the entrance to the desert. The coldness (18 degrees Celsius) was pinching my skin.

“The what bashing?” I asked, taken by surprised.

“You know! Riding in this, across the dunes,” said he, glancing to my other half, sitting directly behind him.

“Whatever!” I said, still quite confused and throwing a frown to my hubbie too, who was busy setting his camcorder.

“My wife and the two boys are not! That’s why they’re getting off here. But I think you should give it a try,” he continued.

“Okay!” said I, tilting my head, looking out of the window. Yonder, small shrubs thrived on the undulating sands, the colours of which reminded me of demerara sugar.

The driver of the four wheel was blowing his hands, smiling gleefully.

And then…it all started. The 4 x 4 vehicle, cranked its way through the wobbly dunes. My tummy felt a bit quizzy as the machine headed towards the main road. A few kilometers, then it careened to a stop, beside a fenced up area, overlooking the desert.

From afar, we could see the horizon and the beautiful, rolling sand dunes…

“There are plastic bags just at your sides. Seat belts on? All set and ready? Here we go!” said the driver.

Just then, the engines roared. And, immediately, I remembered! The look! The cheeky grin and the bright shine in the eyes of our host (Lil, my junior at TKC– sweet wifey of PP, my hubby’s schoolmate, we spent some time last week at their superbly serene abode, at their invitation) when she sent us off, outside her abode.

“Enjoy yourself!” said Lil, her eyes twinkling a naughty smile.

When I lifted myself into the Toyoto Landcruiser that came to pick us up, little did I know then, what was in store for us!

The desert safari… The journey had only just begun…

We were all smiles and giggles at the start. After a few minutes, everyone was absolutely quiet. My eyes were rolling. My stomach in tune with the twists and turns. My head getting giddier than ever as my fingers held on tight to the seat belt. The tough 4x4 continued to spur on, up the slopes and then speeding down, careering here and there, sometimes slipping sideways, bringing bursts of sands, splashing onto the glass windows. My heart was beating as fast as the wheels of the ‘beast’ we were in.

“Are you all right? Your fingers are so cold!” said my beloved, his fingers clasping mine.

I nodded, my eyes narrowing. The ride seemed like forever. My heart was screaming, “Oh! When will all this end?”

At the final moments of the half hour ride, I was already burping and trying hard to hold down whatever that was slowly creeping up my throat. My hands were already clutching the little piece of blue plastic bag, at the seat pocket just in front of me.

Just then, “Right! We stop here for a while. Watch the sunset. And you may take some pictures,” said the driver.

I heaved a sigh of relief. But my head was really heavy and I was trying to hold myself steady when we got down.

“Boy! That was some ride! I was beginning to feel dreadful!” said the other passenger.

“So do I!” said I, trying to keep my balance on the soft, fine sand.

The sun was setting. The most magnificent orange…Glory be to God! We had our pictures taken, my beloved and I. With the help of the other passenger. How lovely!

Then, we proceeded back to the camp. I was wincing again when the ride started to get rough…At last! We reached the camp. Certainly felt better after sipping some herbal tea.

My husband came running, saying, “Here! Rub this! On your forehead and nose.”

“Where did you get this?” I asked, puzzled, looking at the small familiar bottle of 'minyak cap kapak' (ointment made from eucalyptus oil).

“At the stall over there. 5 dirhams!” he smiled. I smiled in return.

Dinner was fabulous, dimly lit lights, under a clear, starry sky …How romantic! A moment to be cherished…..

Thank you PP and Lil! Thank you for having us there. Your hospitality and kindness will always remain in our hearts….May Allah always bless you and the entire family…Amin.

No comments: