Thursday, December 4, 2008

Small kindness (2)...




“Late again!” I scowled at myself in the mirror, my fingers deftly pulling my hijab.

“Why is there only 1 bathroom for a 5 bedroom house? Beats me!” I said half screaming.

Mornings are such a pain. If you have stayed in this part of the world before, you would agree with me. I have never understood the fact that you need to share 1 bathroom with so many other occupants. Especially if you have housemates who take all the time in the world when they are using it!

I was sprinting again that morning. Made a dash across the busy road. At the bus stop, the 111 bus was still waiting.

“Alhamdulillah!” I said, and then began to understand why.

“Come on now!” wailed a silver haired English man who was holding on to the bus; one leg on the bus, while the other on the ground, his hands waving frantically towards me.

The other passengers had taken their seats. And so, I bolted my last few strides.

“Thank you!” I said, panting in between my breaths, to the old man and the driver of the bus, as soon as my feet touched the floor of the bus.

“Welcomed! You have helped me before! Now, it’s my turn!” said the elderly man, walking past me to his seat at the back of the bus.

I sat there, confused, trying to remember his face, but to no avail. I raised my feet as soon as we approached the traffic light at Withington Hospital. Just then, the old man was behind me, waiting to get off too.

“Thank you!” said he to the driver and then turning his head towards me, he said, “See you later!”

Just then, I remembered. A few months back…

I was busy at work at the Nightingale Centre, making copies of documents at the photocopying room. Suddenly, there was pounding on the glass door across the corridor.

“Please anyone! Please open this door for me? I forgot my security pass!” was the voice of a man, garbed in blue.

And so, I rushed to answer his cries, turning the bolt that could only be opened from the inside.

“Sorry to interrupt your work. Thank you very much! It’s so cold out there!” he said, rubbing both his hands. His knuckles had turned white.

“It is alright! You’re welcomed!” I said, getting back to my work.

The elderly man, the janitor. Without his blue uniform, I could not recognize him…

“Is reward of the goodness (of deeds) anything but the goodness (as a result)? Then which of the powers of your Lord you would deny?” ~ (Al Quran, Ar Rahman:60-61)
To all readers...
Eid Mubarak! May Allah guide us all to live and to uphold the true spirit of sacrifice...Amin

No comments: