Monday, September 1, 2008

A life more meaningful...

A few months back, I was browsing by the shelves of an electronic shop, looking for something.

A familiar voice greeted me, “Assalamualaikum!”

I turned my head towards the well-wisher, returning the greetings and was I caught by surprise!


“Good to see you!” said he.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“I have just been transferred to a school around here!” he smiled.

“How have you been doing?” I asked, curious

“Never been happier!” his face beaming with a smile.

“So, you are doing well! I can see that! And your wife?”

“She too, will be coming over soon! And the new school. It is just fabulous! In a remote village. The children, especially the boys? Naughty! But lovable! I am enjoying myself and simply love what I am doing right now!”

“Good for you! Send my salams to your wife!” I said.

“God willing! Have to go to school now. Outdoor activities. My boys are waiting for me. Make sure you give her a fair price! She was my teacher, you know!” he said, turning his cheery face to the young shopkeeper. With that, he bid me goodbye and made his way out of the shop.

“You know him?” I said to the shopkeeper.

“Yes! Very well! We grew up together around this area!” the shopkeeper said smilingly.

The thing I was searching for, was a real bargain, indeed!

In this age of materialistic greed, this ex-student of mine has restored in me the hope and faith that there are still selfless people out there who are willing to sacrifice in search of a more meaningful life…God knows best…

May we be blessed by Allah and may He accept all our good deeds and ibadah especially so in this holy month of Ramadhan…Amin…

2 comments:

D said...

salam sis,
i soooo miss blog-hopping! wasn't able to do much of it during my 2 month break in malaysia.

i can definitely relate to your story as i too have been blessed to meet ex-students like such.

Ramadhan mubarak..

Umi Kalthum Ngah said...

Dearest D,

Thank you for dropping your lines...

Ramadhan Mubarak to you too!

Hope everything will go very well now that you are back in the UK...

May Allah make it easier for you to achieve what you intended to achieve...Amin..