Friday, September 19, 2008

A prosperous masjid, indeed!












































“Where are you from?” a lady garbed in full hijab asked me. I thought she must come from one of the countries in Africa. In her hand, was a packet of food, given away by the masjid. Beside her stood a little girl, also all covered up in the Muslimah attire.

“From Malaysia. And you?” said I, trying to lead her to join me in finding a place to sit so we could enjoy our free meal, having just broken our fast. Just before that, we had performed our maghrib prayers, together with the rest of the congregation.

“I am from Sudan. Been here a few years already and trying to finish my Ph.D!” she said in reply.

“Is that so? Together with your family?” I asked, my fingers putting some food in my mouth.

“Yes, of course! This is Aishah, our only child. My husband is studying too!” she said, her loving gaze fell on the sweet face sitting together with us. A smile broke on the little face, a smile so sweet….

For two nights, my husband, my son and I were in Edinburgh, the medieval city up north, in Scotland. Coincidentally, it was the holy month of Ramadhan,
(1428 Hijrah Year), i.e. last year. My husband was with me for the last two weeks of my sabbatical leave. We stayed at a very reasonably priced place in the middle of the city, its location, a short walk from the Edinburgh Castle. A hostel like environment, the bathroom was just outside, along the corridor. It was spick and span. And to me, that was the most important thing. That season, we were the only occupants on that particular floor. So we had the bathroom to ourselves. How nice!

For the two consecutive nights, we took the opportunity to break our fasts at the Masjid Al Malik Fahd, the Central Mosque, a very prosperous masjid indeed! Swarms of people, from various countries of origin and of different races, throng its doors to attend prayers in jamaah (collectively) led by the imam of the masjid. Free food was given away in tandem with the spirit of Ramadhan.

Outside the month of Ramadhan, the masjid is a bustling centrepoint, people coming to enjoy cheap, delicious food at the Kitchen Mosque. Very popular with non-Muslims especially. The proceeds from the business fuel the activities frequently held at the Islamic Centre, in the adjoining building. Also the free food for people breaking their fasts and performing their tarawih
prayers during the holy month. I saw a program about this wonderful restaurant just recently, in the Asia Food Channel (AFC channel 703 on Astro) – the Woman who ate Scotland, where the host Nell Nelson, learnt how to recite “In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful) in Arabic, before lending her hands in helping to prepare the food.

Most hours of our days there were spent on roaming about the entire city, which include the coveted place, the Edinburgh Castle. At the Royal Botanic Gardens, we saw huge varieties of chilly pepper plants, graded according to their different levels of hotness. I could not imagine how hot it would be, to place the one noted with the highest points (much like the ordinary thermometer) on one’s tongue. A good start to be able to jump up to the ceiling!

Such was a small portion of my Ramadhan last year…

No comments: