Sunday, September 14, 2008

Ramadhan…a blissful beginning..



“Look, Neena! Water!” said little Nuha, a look of wonder on her cute face.

“Yes! We will have a look at it on our way back, alright?” said I, grabbing hold of her tiny fingers.

Having parked our car at a convenient spot, our steps quickened; my other half and the children. This was our first Ramadhan as a complete family after four, long years. My youngest son has just returned from far away, after having completed his studies. All Praises be to God! Little Nuha wrenched free her fingers from mine and was having a whale of a time, running on the grassy patches in between paved walkways, here and there.


”Quick! We have to get to the masjid!” called out her mother.

Just then, her father swooped her up in his arms and in a few moments, we were on the doorsteps of Masjid Asy-Syakirin, KLCC, amid the melodious sound of the azan….

Little Nuha sat with her back on to the wall, sharing a colourful book with a new found friend, while her mum and I got ourselves ready for the isha’ prayer.

Then, it was time for the much coveted tarawikh prayers…the ladies, from different countries and nationalities reminded me of my student days in the seventies, back then in Sheffield…

All garbed in white, we stood in straight lines, when the call for the special prayer in this special month of the Muslim calendar, came on. My eyes caught hold of little Nuha, putting her finger onto her lips to her new friend and whispering, “Let us be quiet, okay?” The nodding head of her new friend, the look on little Nuha’s face, made me smile a little smile…

When the sweet recital of the holy Quranic verses filled the air, I was close to tears. For me, it was like time stood still. For, the magic voice that was reciting the verses totally captivated my heart and enraptured my soul…our prayers that night was led by Brother Abdullah Fahmi, winner of Academy Al Quran, the first season. After all, it is not very often that one’s ears have got the opportunity to listen to this enchanting recital.

Questions started to flip in my head. Will I get to see another night in this special month like this, the next year? The following year and the years to come? Only God knows...All Powerful and Almighty...

We are already halfway through this fasting season. That first night of Ramadhan 1429 was precious in my heart, a night to cherish and remember….

No comments: